Sunday, September 21, 2008

A little heritage...


So... how's this for interesting? I'll cut to the chase here... the baby in the picture is my grandfather who passed away several years ago. The guy holding the baby is my great-grandfather, and the man in the hat is my great-great grandfather. This summer I went to a scrapbooking retreat type of event and it got me really looking at my old and my family's old pictures. This picture is one that I got from my grandma on my last visit to their house while my grandpa was still alive. She knows that I love pictures and had recently had many of the old heritage photos scanned and placed onto CD. This picture has been sitting in my computer for years and I haven't gotten a good look at it in a while. How amazing is it that this picture is in such great shape? I can't believe how much my great-grandpa looks like my grandpa... or even my dad for that matter. It is so strange to think that this baby is going to become a doctor who cares for people in time of war. It is also so strange that this is the same guy I know to be my grandpa. Heritage is such a mind boggling thing for me. I really don't know much... I'd love to learn more. This picture can tell so many stories... I'm just sure of it. Where are they? Who took the picture? What did that camera look like? And who could I talk to today that could give me some answers? I'm going to have to work on this a bit. This is just yet another reason I love pictures and scrapbooking.

3 comments:

Sarah Anne said...

I had no idea you were blogging! You look fantastic in your header photo. Who did that? Beautiful!
The heritage picture is amazing. Not too many people have photos like that. That is so great you are documenting and preserving your family memorabilia and adding your own to it.
Also, I'm very happy you're in love.

Erin said...

Sarah-
Yep... I'm here and I'm blogging! It has been so fun so far, but I'm still learning how to do stuff on here. I'm wondering how to respond to your questions in the best way... and for lack of a better idea... I'm just going to do it here :)
Thank you for your kind words about my header photo... unfortunatly I cannot take any credit for it. My friend Kathy is an amazing photographer. She took this picture a couple of years ago and I cherish them. She made me feel so beautiful and smart at the same time with these. Her blog is linked to mine. It is Heaven's Eye Photography. Besides being an amazing photographer, she's also an amazing and inspiring person.
Keep your eye out for my comments... I'll be on your page soon. :) ~Erin

Adam said...

Hey Erin!!
I just noticed a link to your blog on my sisters blog. I commend you on your motivation. I always find it interesting to read how classmates from high school are doing. Sounds like you are doing great. I hope all the best for you.

I am still in dental school until next year. I am hopful to move back to Washington, but we will see.
Sounds like you are in a very special relationship, for which I am happy. Take care, and when you run into people from high school, tell them I said "hi".

Just so you know, when speaking to my wife I refer to you as "the girl I had a major crush on in the third grade" :) Take care.

Adam Poyfair