Sunday, August 2, 2009

I'm siiiick... and cornhole

Okay... so I got home after a wonderful weekend in Brownsville and Eugene and have finally come to terms that I am sick.  It is no fun to be sick, and because I don't get sick very often... It sucks even more.  I have already blown through (no pun intended) one box of kleenex and have moved onto box #2.  Hopefully tomorrow I will wake up feeling better.  
On a happier side.  This weekend was quite a lot of fun.  Even though I did feel ill most of the time.  I started the weekend at an antique fair in Brownsville.  This is where Justin's parents live.  For those of you who aren't familiar, Brownsville is about 25 minutes north of Eugene and is the town that Stand By Me was filmed in.  The town still looks the same as it did in the movie.  It is the cutest, quaintest, (is that a word?) town that I have visited.  It is a trip to walk around and have Justin's parents know pretty much everyone.  The antique fair brought me a few good treasures, I will keep you updated on what I do with my finds.
Later in the day, we took part in a cornhole tournament down in Eugene and actually managed to find our way into the winner's bracket for some of it... only to lose dramatically in the end.  For those of you who don't know, cornhole is a game I have been introduced to through Justin's friends in Eugene.  They have these ramp like things with a hole in them and your job is to toss bean (maybe corn?) bags into the holes from across the yard.  There are teams of two and each bag can be worth 1, 2, or 3 points.  The points cancel eachother out and in the end you go until one team reaches 15... or sometimes 21.  This was my first go at the game and it was very entertaining.  I think there were something like 20 teams there and it was quite nice that I actually had at least met most of them.  It was good food, good times, and good people.  I do wish it hadn't have been so hot, but other than the mild heat stroke... we had a blast.  
Here is a shot of the championship game, taken on my cell phone.  The hosts of the party won... probably because they actually practice the game of cornhole... rather than just trying their luck at it once a year.  :)  Good stuff.  
We ended the night at Dairy Queen.  Funny how a trip at the end of a long day with a bunch of friends to an ice cream shop can bring back so many memories of summer and childhood.  It was a blast to have some greasy food and tell crazy stories.  It was a good weekend... but I am so glad to be home now that I am officially admitting that I feel terrible.  Good night for now.

2 comments:

Heaven's Eye Phtotography said...

Hello my Cornhole sista:) We are cornhole freaks up in AK and we played all summer. We actually all have corn names in order to play. Mine is Cathricorn. Jake's is Kareem Abdul Jacorn;) There is Cornstar, Mother chucker, there are about 30 more. Best game ever!

Erin said...

oh my... thanks for the good laugh... what should my cornhole name be??