Thursday, October 16, 2008

Words of clairity... from a five-year-old

Okay... as you all know... I am a pre-school teacher. I think if I had to, I could find something to write about every day just from my classroom experience. Children at the ages of 3, 4, 5, and 6 are so amazing. They are still so innocent and honest. They are truly FUNNY and I can find myself fully engaged in conversation with them. They keep me grounded and remind me what is important in life. They give me pride when they accomplish even the simplest things. They still love school and their teachers. The boys are still fans of the color pink and the girls just as happy with a sequin they find on the ground as they would be about a diamond ring. It makes me feel so lucky to have this as my job. I am so blessed to have so many parents share their little ones with us several times a week and I am grateful that this is all possible due to my mom and her dedication to teaching. I am just so lucky.

So... this leads me to my reason for writing tonight. Last week I overheard a conversation with three of our five-year-old girls. One girl was telling the others in a very matter-of-fact manner that she had plans to
"go to college, pick flowers, and get married".
Just like that... life was stated in three simple steps. I chimed in and asked her...
"so you said you're going to... go to college, pick flowers, and get married?"
and she looked at me... shrugged her shoulders and said...
"Yea!"
I thought about it all day... it was just so cute... so simple... and so matter-of-fact.

So here's my question... should I just pick some flowers now?

3 comments:

Heaven's Eye Phtotography said...

Clearly we all know what step you are on! What you were really telling us is that you can't wait for the 3rd step;) Cutest post...and I just want to thank you for your passion. You and your mom have touched so many lives as you know but for my 3 little ones you are the ones that make step 1 of this little girl's dream come true. They start out loving school which will keep them craving learning for life:) K

April Silvery said...

Oh that is just adorable! I love the pure innocence and simplicity to her thought. Those kids are just as lucky to have you and your mom touch their lives as you are to have them in yours. We are so spoiled to have our children in your classroom. I have seen both of my kids grow and gain so much confidence and pride from being with you. A quick funny story about kindrick... he told me that last year he has a girlfriend but she broke up with him and then Keoni "had her" I asked if this bothered him and he said "No Keoni wanted her!" I then asked her name and he said "i dont know" then a second later he said "i know her name was horse" I said "really horse, why is that" and he said because she had a horse nose and horse feet!" I think he was lying about not being jealous of the break up!!

Lori said...

Just came across your new blog - so fun...and I love this post! It is wonderful to hear you talk about your love for the preschoolers, as they LOVE you and Treehouse. Cannot wait for Caden to have the same experience with you and your Mom! Thanks!!