Tuesday, October 14, 2008

How did I miss this?


I can't believe that I went nearly 29 years without knowing how much fun football season is. This may sound silly to some people (especially most of my girlfriends:), but I live for Saturdays right now. I'm not sure if its the getting out of town, or the thrill of the competition, or maybe it's just because I get Justin's company for a complete two days. The bottom line is that I just love it. I'm so lucky that Justin's family has taken me in as a part of this family tradition. I am an adopted Duck and I'm loving every minute of it. I think I even understand the game of football now. I spent every football game in high school either talking to friends, dancing on the field at half time, or just cheering whenever everyone else did. :) In college I went to one football game to watch a friend of mine play... when he hadn't played at all by the forth quarter, we left. He then proceeded to make a huge play at the very end of the game and we missed it all :(... not that I would have known what to cheer for :). I never really got it at all... I knew there was a quarterback, but I didn't know what that meant. I didn't even know that there was a defensive team and an offensive team. What? There's two different sets of players on the field? Who knew? Today I enjoy football. I actually enjoy the game more than the tailgating. It's great to have another team to cheer for... another reason to feel competitive... and I love the quality time with Justin and his family. It's just another reason that my life is so good right now... one of many reasons. :)

4 comments:

ENDub said...

Oh Reive, I long to feel that way, as I think it would clear up many arguments and much confusion in our household! It just seems to tiring to learn about! I will one of these days, as I miss the competitive spirit of a team. I'm with you though, your pre-football fan days are exactly what I identify with then and NOW. Maybe one day Trey and I can enjoy the sport together, but I have a feeling that won't be until my boys are potentially playing. Then I'll have to learn what's going on so nobody messes with my baby!!
Love you.

Missy said...

Hey Erin, I found your blog thru others (crazy blogosphere) and I had to comment on this one because I went thru the same thing! How did I miss football growing up in a household with four brothers who adore it? I agree, it's fun to watch, fun to tailgate and I GET it now! I'm an adopted OSU fan because of my in-laws and I have more OSU gear than Western stuff. Take care and keep bloggin'!

April Silvery said...

I am not even going to let Andre read this cause he will be way to jealous!! He wishs I was interested or even tried to understand the sport. He is such a huge football fan, and gets so much enjoyment out of the game. It is truly a bonding experiance between him and his fellow football junkies. Maybe if I could ever go to a game it would be different, I could feel that intense competitive vibe that you get at the actual event. Kindrick knows more about the game then I do. Im sure once he is playing I will have to figure it out right?? Erin im glad you have so much fun, that is awesome to look forward to every week!

Erin said...

Okay... so here's what I'm thinking... some time... at some game... I'll just have to explain it to you guys (Eryn & April)... it's just so fun... maybe I can pass on some of my excitement... or at least I could try....