Monday, November 16, 2009

Journal a bit

For those of you who read my post a few weeks ago... you will know what I am talking about. To the rest of you, look back a few posts...

I have been taking part in an online class given by Ali Edwards and it has been so much fun to explore my memories in this way. As much as I love scrapbooking, I have done little to really tell any version of my story that would really be useful to anyone 50 years from now. My goal with this class is to get some of it out... to tell some of the stories that I have held in my memory bank. So many of my memories I'm sure are tainted by childhood fogginess, by the desire to forget, or by just plain forgetting. But I do find that many of my memories are fairly accurate. This first set of stories are just "from childhood". My mom after reading them seemed to think they were "mostly accurate"... so I'm okay with that. Regardless of the exact details, the thing that matters is "what I remember" and how it effected me and the memory I have of it.


I had so much fun telling these stories... it was time consuming yes, but what a great feeling it is to know that at least these six stories will always be documented... for years to come. It's really a strangely peaceful feeling. Even with no children to worry about passing them down to, I've got to believe that someone someday will care. :)

My next pages are going to document a particularly difficult event in my life (and frankly many other lives). I have already begun the journaling portion and it has been so very healing for me. This thing that happened nearly 15 years ago can still make me cry, it has honestly impacted me nearly every day of my life and it has been healing to deal... to write about it... to feel that pain again... and be grateful for what it has done to influence my life in a positive fashion despite all of the pain involved. I will unveil the pages soon enough, for now I need to get it all out. Just after journaling a bit about it last night, I felt a little lighter this morning. It feels good to face those things that we maybe never dealt with... even 15 years later... it feels good to find the positive in the pain.

Well, that is it for now... and if you do one thing this week... journal a bit... I know we have all been told before that it is helpful... I'm here to tell you yet again... it is. :)

2 comments:

shannon said...

oh my gosh... reading through your entries and seeing that picture of dad blowing out his candles... so awesome!! Thanks for sharing... I can't wait to see it all in person :)

mlyster said...

Please keep posting the pages you create. I wish I had the creative talent you had, you're amazing Erin!