Sunday, December 21, 2008

Holy Snow!

Okay... first of all, let me tell you that this is the SECOND time that I have attempted this post. I tried to copy and paste what I had already done, but my "copy" got erased so now I have to start over. My friend Amy lives in Hawaii, and after talking to her today several times, I promised her pictures of our "Arctic Blast 2008" scene at my house. I have been taking pictures for days. I have always been a huge fan of snow. My childhood love for a snow day has shifted into a teacher's love for a snow day. This last weeks has been such a treat for me. Not because I missed school, because luckily for the most part I didn't, but because I love the peacefulness. I love be stuck here. I love the quiet, the glow off of the white, and the giggle that comes out of me each morning as I look out the window. So... Amy... here they are. Enjoy.

It started snowing last Sunday. Look at how pretty it is.
Monday morning we didn't have class because we just didn't want to risk it. Because of this, our Three-year-olds didn't get their holiday party. I know, it's very sad. For all of us. But we really didn't want anyone to hurt themselves or their cars trying to get to school so :( Tuesday was super cold, but not very snowy. Then Wednesday I woke up to this. Yippy!
Puma was loving the new sites. I was like a little kid on Wednesday morning and just couldn't help myself. Yep, I did that, in my pajamas... I made a snow angel on my back patio. :) On Thursday it was more of the same and I even had to miss a Blazer game I had tickets for :(. But on Friday I went out again and this time made a tiny snowman to start my day. Yep, I was in my pajamas for this too. He's maybe about 8 inches tall.
So then by Friday afternoon, my snowman had a little lean. We had gotten a bit more snow, but nothing like what we would be seeing.On Saturday it snowed and snowed and snowed all day long, and then it turned into freezing rain. Here's me before the rain hit... look at all the snow! I went out in the evening because there were all of these weird drifts of snow. Some were almost a foot tall. (that is a bad picture... it's at about 10 inches) Crazy. And look at my sad palm tree... wondering what the heck is going on here. I wrapped him up in a towel. Hopefully he will survive this cold.So this morning everything was covered in a sheet of ice. So now we have about 6 inches of snow, topped by about a 1/4 inch of ice and now topped again with another inch or two of snow. It was so much fun to stomp around my yard this morning. For no reason other than getting pictures and just hearing the ice crack. It was so peaceful out there this morning. There were no cars really on the road and everything is coated in a deep blanket of white. Here's the rest of my ice pictures. Each blade of grass was coated in thick ice... I should have zoomed in better. Here's my rhododendron... it looks like it's going to die. These are the berries on a tree in front of my house. I love this picture. And finally... here is my snowman today... nearly buried. I wonder how many inches we've gotten. Can you tell it doesn't snow often here? I love it!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Challenged to a comment...I live for your challenges. You may wish you hadn't asked for it, but YOU DID, So, I will take a deep breath and go in...My first concern is what those two little holes are that appear in your snow angel's rear, do you have knobs in your pajamas? Next concern is really more of a whistle blow on your deceptive initial snow man picture, even though the description reads inches, he clearly appears to be fence high, second picture that shows him in relation to the table and was a total disappointment, but I will allow it to pass as I am certain you intended no harm, maybe just innocent mind games? Third general concern is mostly for you and your well being...shall I send you a coat? Are your thumbs broken, unable to open the hall closet to fetch the coat, unable to bend down to the pile of stuff at your front door to pick up your coat...GOOD LORD, why are you braving the weather in your PJs? ... and finally, the next time I see a neighbor walk out to get their newspaper, water their plants or push out the garbage in THEIR roos, robe, santa suit...I will know that even my best friend is vulnerable to the same lapse in judgement that must fail in order to lead oneself outdoors so inadequately protected from the elements...Boy, I can't believe I never commented before, this was a total hoot.

Erin said...

Wow... I did ask for it.

Briana said...

Sadly enough, everyone that has blogged from the NW had made us here in TX very envious! My children have never ever even been in snow. I take that back, when Braeden was 4 weeks old, it snowed in Seattle and we stuck his bundled up feet in the snow. We're happy for everyone, of course, but still jealous!

ENDub said...

I'm so glad you are blogging again! I faithfully look at your blog every day or so, and when I saw a new post, I was thrilled! Good snow week recap. I want to do the same, but it's so bad up on this hill, that I've barely been out there. It is insane snowy, windy, icy up here. Poor Kasia will barely go to the bathroom.
Glad you're back! Love you.